apple & ginger quinoa porridge
this might be the perfect winter breakfast. ginger an everyday superfood just hanging out in your fridge is antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory and is packed with vitamin C. this porridge is cold fighting perfection that, combined with the aroma of the cinnamon diminishes even the thickest of winter morning fogs
quinoa is a complete protein. it contains all eight essential amino acids that provide the body with the raw materials for growth and development. quinoa is a rich in B vitamins, essential for energy metabolism.
makes 2 servings
- 1/2 cup of quinoa
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of nut / dairy milk
- 1 apple (cored & grated)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp of grated ginger
- Optional : drizzle of ‘highbank orchard syrup’ (this is an Irish organic apple syrup that gives the porridge an extra apple kick and sweetness). available from good whole food stores and online.
make and do
- - rinse the quinoa in a fine sieve until the water runs clear and transfer to a pot
- - add the water and bring to the boil
- - reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally until quinoa is soft & water is evaporated (approximately 10 minutes).
- - stir in the milk, cinnamon, grated apple and ginger into the quinoa and warm though for 5 minutes
- - distribute into two bowls and drizzle over the orchard syrup!
with a twist
- - stir through some ground flaxseed when serving up for an extra dose of goodness